Look who's back on the big screen

Devgn speaks about his latest films, the dropping of the ‘a' in his surname, his future projects and his family.

Two-time National Award winner, Ajay Devgn is back with two big releases this year. Firstly, his home production All The Best just released to a packed theatre, and now he reunites with Salman Khan in London Dreams after the 1999 super-hit Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (HDDCS).

After being in the industry for decades, what made you drop the ‘a' from your surname?
Honestly speaking I wasn't keen on dropping the ‘a' in my surname, but based on numerology, my family members insisted and I obliged.

You have worked with Rohit Shetty in four of his previous films, what prompted you to produce All The Best under his direction?
I have known Rohit for the last 17 years, ever since he assisted in directing my debut film Phool Aur Kaante. Over the years, we developed a good rapport, and as soon as he narrated the script of All The Best, I decided to produce it. In my opinion, All The Best is a complete laugh-riot and even funnier than Golmaal.

Why didn't you opt for your Golmaal co-actors Tushar Kapoor or Arshad Warsi to star in All The Best?
I didn't want my film to look like Golmaal-3 and that's the reason I opted for a different star cast.

You seemed to have struck a great camaraderie with Sanjay Dutt in All The Best and there didn't seem to be any on-screen rivalry between the two of you. Could you shed light on this?
Sanjay is an old friend, and I always knew that he would play an important role in the film. As soon as I told him that I was producing a film, he instantly got on board. We had a lot fun shooting in Goa and it shows in the film.

Were you perturbed by the fact that your film is releasing opposite the much-hyped Blue and Main Aurr Mrs Khanna?
I really don't know how well the other films have shaped up, but I am quite sure they will also lure the audience. Thankfully, All The Best is different as it falls under the comedy genre and is a family-oriented light movie to be enjoyed by all.

How did you prepare to play a rock star in London Dreams?
I didn't prepare to play the role in London Dreams. In fact, Vipul Shah, the film director, had already planned to give me a new look in the film. The challenging part was to sing and dance for the rock concert sequences in front of a huge crowd, as I am not used to performing on stage.

How does it feel to work with Salman Khan after a decade? Do you believe that you can rekindle the magic of HDDCS?
I get along with Salman Khan very well, and we are extremely comfortable working together. Unfortunately, London Dreams is the only film that materialised for both of us after Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. It is entirely a different subject, though both films involve a love triangle, with music as its focus. I am sure the audience will find London Dreams intriguing.

Has your age forced you to slow down and shift from your trademark action roles to comic and dramatic roles?
It has nothing to do with age, actually I am dying to do an action film with a right subject.

After the failure of your directorial debut U Me Aur Hum, that co-starred your wife Kajol, will you direct another film?
Surely, I am looking forward to directing another film. But I'm waiting for the right script to come my way. And if the role requires Kajol to be a part of it, then she will feature in the movie.

What are your next projects?
I have Prakash Jha's star-studded Rajneeti scheduled for release early next year. Later, I have a live animation flick called Toonpur Ka Super Hero with Kajol, Milan Luthria's Once Upon A Time In Mumbai and Priyadarshan besides the possibility of doing Golmaal-3.

With so many films lined up do you get time for family life?
I am extremely content with my family life, as Kajol takes care of my daughter Nysa, while I am away shooting. However, I do try to spend as much time as possible with my family. Thankfully, Kajol belongs to the same industry and understands the work ethics.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Nazriya turns producer for Fahadh Faasil’s

Nazriya’s making a comeback to Mollywood on multiple fronts! The actress, who has been away from showbiz since her wedding to  Fahadh  F...